New York City Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics
According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, in 2012 there were 294,757 motor vehicle accidents. Sadly, of these, 1,082 were fatal crashes. That means ever day, 807 accidents occur throughout the State of New York.
See the New York City Motor Vehicle Accident Statistics here.
Because of New York City Motor Vehicle Accidents, one hundred and thirty seven thousand of these people sought treatment at one of New York’s emergency departments or hospitals. This resulted in almost $504 million in hospital charges.
New York City Motor Vehicle Accident Threshold Rule
New York State has enacted special rules with regard to Personal Injury motor vehicle accident cases. To recover for non-economic loss, a plaintiff must plead and prove a “serious injury.” Insurance Law § 5102(d) provides that a “serious injury” in a motor vehicle accident case constitutes:
- Loss of a fetus
- A fracture
- Significant disfigurement
- Permanent loss of use of a body function, system, organ or member
- Permanent consequential limitation of use of a body organ or member
- Significant limitation of use of a body function or system; or
- A medically determined injury or impairment of a non-permanent nature which prevents the injured person from performing substantially all of the material acts which constitute such person’s usual and customary daily activities for not less than ninety days during the one hundred eighty days immediately following the occurrence of the injury or impairment.
We are experienced attorneys who will evaluate each case to make sure the threshold is met, and then advise you accordingly.
What is a New York City Motor Vehicle Accident?
In New York City motor vehicle accidents can occur in the following situations:
If you have been injured in any of these accidents, contact our office immediately for help.
New York City Motor Vehicle Accident Types of injuries
New York City Motor Vehicles accidents can lead to the following injuries:
If you have any of these injuries, you may be able to recover large damages in your motor vehicle accident case.
Protect Your Rights in a New York City Motor Vehicle Accident
It is important if you are involved in a New York City motor vehicle accident, you protect your rights by doing the following:
- Treat your injuries. Make sure if you are injured your receive treatment. Go to the hospital, and do not miss any follow up appointments.
- Photographs. Take photographs of the location where you were injured. Pictures can be indispensable in proving a the defendant’s negligence.
- Accident Reports. If you were injured maked sure you call 911. File out an MV-104, Report for accident, located here.
- Witnesses. If someone saw you fall, obtain their email, telephone number, address, and even a written statement.
Each New York City motor vehicle accident case is different, and it is vital to have your case evaluated to determine if all the elements of liability are present. Having an experienced, knowledgeable, hardworking, and caring attorney from Daniel Szalkiewicz & Associates, P.C. handle your case will provide you with the best chancing of receiving the large and fair settlement that you deserve. Our legal team will send investigators to the site to conduct examination into the circumstances involved to determine whether an owner failed to keep you reasonably safe, question witnesses, and take statements. We immediately send claim letters to alert the insurance and require the potential defendants to preserve all relevant evidence.
With our solid hard working reputation for our clients and tough litigators and settlement skills, Daniel Szalkiewicz & Associates, P.C. can swiftly and strongly bring your case to a favorable resolution. Do not suffer in silence any longer; call our team today to discuss your options for pursuing justice and ensuring your rights are protected. We provide exceptionally qualified legal counsel, and to make sure our clients are not hurt twice, we only take a 31.5% contingency fee, compared to the industry standard one/third to 42.00%. If we don’t win for you, you owe us nothing.